At MGA, we deeply value our local community and are always eager to contribute to its well-being. Last month, we took the time to do just that with our annual spring volunteer day. We traded our usual office environment for a refreshing outdoor setting, dedicating our time and effort to preserving and enhancing the natural beauty of Houston's cherished Buffalo Bayou Park.
We spent our time shoveling, transporting, and spreading over 12 yards of mulch in the beds around the trees at the Houston Police Officers Memorial in preparation for their annual memorial service. We mulched the 18 Crepe Myrtles and 16 Magnolias ringing the walkway around the memorial, equating to about 170 wheelbarrow loads of mulch.
We did not expect to be able to get all of the trees mulched during our window of volunteering, so accomplishing that and more was a big success. The Director also commented on how perfectly round and matching all of the mulch circles were — something strived for but rarely reached. We are proud of our team for a tremendous effort and perfect outcome.
Watch the video below to recap our day and see our incredible team members hard at work (and having fun!).
Making a Difference, for Our Clients and Our Community
This is the fourth year we have dedicated our spring day of service to Houston’s Buffalo Bayou Park. We have planted trees along the bayou as part of the Hurricane Harvey cleanup. We have also helped mulch the beds around and above the lake at the Lost Lake Visitor Center, providing major benefits to the plants. It’s always a rewarding experience to dedicate our time and resources to preserving this park and keeping it a beautiful and exciting place to visit.
While we enjoy giving back to our community by getting outside and getting our hands dirty, we also prioritize integrating other eco-friendly and sustainable practices into our daily business operations. MGA takes responsibility for its effect on the environment and is always looking for new ways to minimize our waste and reduce our carbon footprint.
Here Are a Few Examples of Our Daily Green Practices
- We have transitioned the majority of our operations over to the digital world and work toward a paperless environment.
- The paper we do seldom use is recycled when we are finished with it.
- We utilize a green electricity provider.
- All of our interior lighting in the office are LED lights, which provide many environmental benefits.
- We operate on a virtual cloud solution, significantly reducing our electricity consumption.
- We allow flexible work-from-home options, resulting in major decreases in our team members’ commute emissions.
- We aim to have zero waste break areas by offering reusable mugs, cups, and silverware.
- We have motion sensors throughout our office for office lighting to limit energy usage.
Work with a Firm Who Cares and Takes Action to Show It
If you’re interested in building a career with a firm that cares about its community and takes action to show it, look no further. We are always looking for hard-working and dedicated professionals to join our growing team at MGA.
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please take a look at our open positions and apply for one today.
We'd love to hear from you!
Enjoy reading our articles? Click here to receive instant notifications as we publish new blog posts, educational videos, webinars, and more. Or, if you'd prefer monthly updates, you can subscribe here.